Monday, September 15, 2008

the day.

It's a weird day in the office. Weather is extremely hot. Imagine something like 9 degress two days before and 23 degrees today.

Early in the morning, when i was making my coffee before 9am, our school manager came in the kitchen. She was looking at the paper which I just picked up from the library... and said to me,

"Lehman brothers in big trouble, isn't it?"

It's weird that she actually starts a topic like this, so finance-related issues.. normally, she'll say something like... great weather, huh?

Thank god I browse through the news when I was walking back from the library just now and replied,

"Ya, I saw it in the paper this morning.."

She, then started the topic about US economy and UK recession and asked me about conditions in Malaysia... oh god... how am i suppose to reply all these? haha...

"Not good... we relied on foreign investors a lot... we get hurts easily.."

I chinchai replied and faster take my coffee away and said,

"Enjoy your breakfast!"

haha.... its a weird beginning of the day. Work was busy the whole morning, the busiest day I've ever had in the office. Before lunch, one of the oldest professor in the school came in the admin office to spread the news.

"Do you know that Merrill Lynch is gone... so do Lehman..."

The school manager, the postgraduate head, and the old professor all standing around to talk about the issues...

Even when I'm on my way to make another evening coffee in the kitchen I've overheard some conversations about this BIG thing... Lecturers standing around..

"Have you heard about Merrill Lynch and Lehman Brothers?"

Well... I guess its the big issue of the year.

Heard something about investment banks not hiring this year during the dinner with Bank Negara that night from a guy. He said something like sending in resumes for a few investment banks and one replied that... "We do not have any open positions for this year.", I can't recall the company, was that Merrill Lynch?

Whatever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

kenot understand the finance world,,, but nevermind.

korea is very hot too, arghh.

Anonymous said...

haha... moral of the story is...

finance graduates are facing the "jobless" risk due to the collapse of these giants....

wrong timing to graduate, maybe?

Anonymous said...

rupa-rupanya ... haha